Wednesday 27 August 2008

Zamora's buildings

Zamora's buildings

Now this is the business. I think there is a cathedral and a castle (as well as several recently added museums) in there, although I need to do more research. The free map from the Excelentisimo Ayuntamiento de Zamora (the town council, but it sounds a lot better) is great for street navigation but falls down a bit on identifying exciting buildings.

In any case, the roof of the building on the left (which I'm pretty sure is the cathedral) is worth a visit on its own. It's a great, stone carved, many sided, dome and also, rather entertainingly, is covered with about 14 very large storks.

I'm off for more tourist wandering before dinner.

2 comments:

CarolineMathieson said...

You are doing exceedingly well!

How do you find the lack of fellow pilgrims on this route? It's noticeably quieter than the camino frances, I'm sure.

If you can, spend an extra day in Salamanca. It's a beautiful city and where my heart is. From there to Caceres is some of the longest and trickiest days, but you will have no trouble I suspect.

Caroline.

Unknown said...

On yersel bigman. Mel