Sunday 17 August 2008

End of day 2, 5% done

End of day 2, 5% done

As I should have expected the rain did indeed get heavier. In fact as if from nowhere, as I crossed the summit of the Serron do Lobo (Wolf Sierra I think), the heavens opened in an tremendous downpour. I had placed my waterproof poncho (5 Euros worth and keeps you and your rucksack dry, who needs Gore Tex?) near the top of my rucksack for just such an eventuality, however any smugness I might have had soon evaporated as the damn thing got caught on something else in my pack and in the ensuing struggle both I and my equipment got thoroughly soaked. In fact the kilt was so wet that even after getting the poncho on small streams of water were appearing from the it and running down... right into my boots. Marvellous.

Despite such mishaps it was all rather pleasant, traipsing down small Galician roads surrounded by more shades of green than you could shake a stick at, passing the occasional hamlet, which is rarely more than about three buildings (See attached photo for an example of one such Galician house) before finally dropping into Guitiriz, where I find myself now, fed and watered, feet tended to (cracking new blister on my right foot) and ready for some kip to prepare for the 20 miles down to Melide tomorrow, where I pick up the Camino de Santiago, and get to meet lots of people who are walking a very long way, although in the other direction.

Night all.

1 comment:

Sil said...

Hola peregrino,
You need an ALTUS raincape to keep you, your kilt and your gear dry for 5 weeks.
It is a raincoat with a hump for the pack so you put it on after you've put the backpack on.
Check it out in Portomarin or the next large town you come to.
It'll be worth the 28 euro investment.
I have linked your blog to mine and have also posted it to a few el camino forums so hope you get lots of messages from other peregrinos around the world.
Suerte!
Sil