Monday 18 August 2008

Morning, Melide - Day 4

Morning, Melide - Day 4

The party is over. Melide is quiet under a grey sky, sleeping off the effects of last night; the only people out are the cleaners, gathering in the mountain of empty cups, cans, bottles, cartons, and the pilgrims.

The first ones were up around 5ish, and by the time I was fully awake at 7.30 the hall of maybe 60 people had been reduced to around 10. 

In summer on the camino or pilgrim trail to Santiago there are so many people that it becomes a rush to get to the next pilgrim hostal, and people are forced to get up earlier and earlier to avoid sleeping in town halls and school gyms as we were last night.

I've now located the route heading East out of town, and as luck would have it there's an excellent cafe right where I've picked it up. After getting to my sleep mat at around 2.30 I could do with a coffee.

Post breakfast it'll be time to make tracks, but I think they're going to be somewhat slow, as a couple of my blisters are really doing well. Flourishing you could say. In principle I'm meant be heading to Portomarìn today, about 26 miles, but tomorrow was then planned as an easier day of about half that, so if I'm struggling later on I think I might reverse the days, as there are plenty of places to sleep between here and Portomarìn.

Have a good day, wherever you may be.

No comments: