Thursday 28 August 2008

19 km more?

19 km more?

After my previous post regarding the arrow and finding the path I managed to turn unexpected triumph into ridiculous defeat (of sorts). The yellow arrowed path I was on headed way out west, whereas I believed it should be going pretty much due south, if not directly south, as that's the line taken by the national highway, the N630. Eventually as the path continued west I bottled it, and after retracing my footsteps I met a farmer who confirmed that if I wanted Villanueva de Campean, the next village on the route I should head straight south. A mistake as it turned out, the path was the right one, and having headed back the only option left was to walk down the highway.

In general it's not the most pleasant at the best of times, but at the moment they're building a new motorway to replace the national highway, so the whole road is swarming with lorries carrying equipment, concrete, stone and all the vital bits and bobs for building a motorway. Having 5 or 6 massive lorries pass you every minute or so is not the most pleasant way to cross the Spanish countryside. Of course the irony is that when the motorway is finished the national highway probably will be quite pleasant to go for a stroll on, as all the heavy vehicles will be on the motorway.

Anyway after nearly 30 km on the highway I've made it to El Cubo de Vino - alas it's unlikely it's actually filled with cubes of wine. This part of the world is known as the Tierra de Vino, for its history of wine growing and the names of many of the towns are terminated "de Vino". It appears though that not much wine production goes on now though as I haven't spotted any vineyards whatsoever. Still it's a great name.

The question is what to do next. It's still early, I'm not too tired BUT the next town is 19 km away... and due to the motorway construction the normal footpath is closed, which means, you guessed it, 19 more kilometres on the highway. However if I do go I'll only have some 15 km tomorrow to get to Salamanca, which is very tempting.

I'll probably go, and really regret it about 8pm and then when I arrive be glad I got it over and done with. In that case 'd better shoulder the pack and head off.

Oh, re the interview, I did meet Tele Zamora yesterday and did a quick interview in the main square. It went pretty smoothly I think/hope, more details to follow.

And finally, I do see the comments, thanks for all of them, but the blackberry seems to have issues with posting responses, hence my lack of communication, but please keep them coming, it's great to know there are people out there!)

No comments: