Friday 29 August 2008

Creature comforts

Creature comforts

In the end I did nearly 50 km yesterday or 30 miles, and having arrived at a one hostal town at 10.15 discovered that one hostal was full. However the owner kindly let me camp in a patch of waste ground he had. So much for my refreshing shower and opportunity to relax and get in a big sleep.

But, I'm now in a little hotel in Salamanca everything's been washed including me, the blisters are treated and the world is looking rosy. Amazing how happy we can be with the basic things when we suddenly go without them, even for a night.

I'm off out to marvel at beautiful Salamanca soon, and maybe investigate new boots, the current ones keep giving me new blisters, which just isn't right, and not only that, they've started to fall apart. I doubt they've 500 miles left in them.

1 comment:

CarolineMathieson said...

Hmm, when I was walking the VDLP back in 2004 for my sabbatical, I needed to buy new boots in Salamanca as well.
I still have those boots.

The previous pair wore out on the way from Galisteo to Salamanca walking over the montes de bejar.

I have worn out three pairs of boots on caminos since my first in 2000. I needed to replace the first pair when I reached Puenta La Reina on my second camino.

Do you wear two pairs of socks? I recommend a thin cotton inner one and a thick woollen outer one. I don't get blisters that way.

Caroline.